The OPP Association supports Ontario improving safety and enforcement of the towing industry. The images above and below are media assets provided by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation at a press conference on Tuesday March 2, 2021.
A portion of the press release reads:
TORONTO - The Ontario government is making our roads and highways safer by launching a Joint Forces Operation team to address violence in the towing industry and introducing a tow zone pilot on designated sections of provincial highways. Ontario's provincial towing task force has also recommended additional actions to better protect customers and improve towing industry safety, including establishing an oversight model of the towing and storage industry, exploring licencing for tow truck drivers, and introducing clearer equipment standards.
"The ongoing violence in the towing industry is unacceptable, which is why our government is taking action to make the towing industry safer through strengthened oversight and standards," said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. "Ontario's towing industry is a vital service on our roads and highways every day, and these actions will help to improve safety for all drivers."
Based on recommendations from the provincial towing task force established last year, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and municipal police services will form a Joint Forces Operation team to investigate criminal activity in the towing industry with the goal of enhancing consumer protection and public safety. The province will also launch the first phase of a pilot that would introduce restricted tow zones on designated sections of provincial highways to help clear highways faster and safer.
"As part of our government's plan to improve oversight of the towing industry, we are forming a Joint Forces Operation team led by the OPP and municipal police services to shutdown criminal activity in the towing industry that puts Ontarians in danger on our roadsides," said Solicitor General Sylvia Jones. "This operation will root out criminals and ensure that decisive actions can take place to address incidents of violence in the towing industry."
In response to the recommendations of the task force, the province intends to propose legislation that would, if passed, enhance standards and improve safety. The province is also forming a new technical advisory group made up of representatives from towing companies, consumer advisory groups, automobile insurance companies, municipalities, and law enforcement organizations.
"We are thrilled to see the results of the provincial towing task force, including the introduction of a tow zone pilot that will provide faster and safer towing services to truck drivers travelling on some of Ontario's busiest highways," said Geoffrey Wood, Senior Vice President, Ontario Trucking Association. "With the introduction of this tow zone pilot, truck drivers in the Greater Toronto Area will see benefits such as faster service and standard rates for towing services."
"We commend the Ontario government for developing a plan to increase safety and oversight for the towing industry that responds to the needs of the industry," said Mark Graves, President of the Provincial Towing Association of Ontario. "Today's announcement is a positive step towards consistent oversight and improved safety for Ontario's tow truck drivers who work hard every day to provide professional service to drivers on roads and highways across the province."
The full press release can be read on the media advisory section of the Ontario Governement by clicking on this link
A number of posts were made on social media after the press conference. A few of those posts are embedded here on this blog post for ease of reference: